Jimmy Milne

Jimmy Milne was born in Dundee on 24th January 1911. He played local non-league football before joining Dundee United in the Scottish League in 1931.

Milne, a skillful midfielder, joined Preston North End in 1932. He joined a talented squad that included Bill Shankly, George Holdcroft, Robert Kelly, Ted Harper, Frank Gallimore, Bill Tremelling, John Palethorpe, John Pears, Billy Hough, Henry Lowe, George Fitton, Frank Beresford and George Bargh.

Ted Harper had a great start to the 1932-33 season. He scored four against both Burnley and Lincoln City and hat-tricks against West Ham United and Manchester United. By the end of the season he had scored 37 league goals, beating the club record previously held by Tommy Roberts. Despite Harper's goals, Preston only finished in 9th position and once again failed to get promotion to the First Division.

The following season Ted Harper moved back to Blackburn Rovers in order to get First Division football. During his time at Preston North End he had scored 67 goals in 75 games. He was replaced by the English international, George Stephenson, who had considerable goalscoring success at Derby County, Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday.

Another experienced striker, Jimmy Dougal, joined the club half-way through the 1933-34 season. Preston at last achieved promotion to the First Division when they finished runners-up to Grimsby Town. George Stephenson had a great season scoring 16 goals in 25 games.

In the 1935-36 season, Preston finished 7th in the league. Jimmy Maxwell was again top scorer with 19 goals in all competitions. New signing, Hugh O'Donnell, added 15 more. Preston had a disappointing league campaign in 1936-37 only finishing in 14th place. Francis O'Donnell was top scorer with 27 goals. Eleven of these came in cup competitions. For example, he scored in every round of the FA Cup, including a hat trick in the 4th round against Exeter City and a double against West Bromwich Albion in the semi-final. O'Donnell also scored in the first-half of the cup final against Sunderland. However, with Raich Carter in top form, Sunderland responded by scoring three in reply.

In the 1937-38 season Preston North End (49 points) finished 3rd in the First Division of the Football League behind Arsenal (52) and Wolverhampton Wanderers (51). Top scorers were Scotsmen George Mutch (18) and Jimmy Dougal (14).

Preston also won the 1938 FA Cup Final but unfortunately for Milne he missed the game as he had broken his collarbone a week earlier in a collision with Arsenal's Alf Kirchen.

The Second World War interrupted Milne's career. In 1946 he became player-manager of Wigan. He also worked for Morecambe and Doncaster Rovers before returning to Preston North End as a trainer in 1949. Milne also served the club as manager (1961-68).

Jimmy Milne died on 13th December 1997.